National Institute of Parasitic Diseases
Shangai, Shangai, China
The National Institute of Parasitic Diseases (IPD), Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (China CDC), is the only specialized institution for parasitology at the national level, which was renamed on 23rd January 2002. Its earliest precursor, Huadong Branch of the National Institute of Health was established in Nanjing in 1950. It was named in 1956 as the Institute of Parasitic Diseases (IPD), Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences (CAMS). In 1957, the Hainan Anti-malaria Station, CAMS, was merged into the Institute and both moved to Shanghai. In 1983, the Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine (CAPM) was organized by separating institutions from the CAMS and the IPD became part of it.
At present, the Institute has a total staff of 180. Among them, 121 are professionals with 42 holding senior professional titles. Over the past two decades, sponsored by the World Health Organization (WHO), other international agencies or bilateral collaborative projects, dozens of the professional staff were sent to foreign countries to be trained. Twenty of them have returned to the Institute and are playing an important role as leaders or principal investigators for research and control activities.